Tuesday, March 17, 2020

In a time of virus

In the midst of the world crisis in the face of the corona virus, I have felt distant from the crisis, somewhat like the feeling I had looking out on the valley one morning this month.


A Facebook friend from Ames shared a tweet from someone that read: “The weirdest part of living through the COVID-19 pandemic is this strange mixture of normalcy and emergency that we are all experiencing. I constantly feel that I’m over- or under-reacting, or really both at the exact same time. It’s surreal.”

I think that’s part of the way I feel now. But up to a few days ago, I felt much more detached.

Yes, the permanent diaconate conference in Germany was cancelled and I kept trying to cancel flights and was unable to get through. I did get notice of flight changes and a cancelled flight. Finally, I spent about two hours on line (at about 9:30 pm one night) and think I have it cancelled and hope for a refund of the flight.

The diocese has cancelled the clergy retreat next week. They have also asked for no events with more than fifty people (following a decree about this on Saturday by COPECO, the government emergency commission).

A few days ago the government decided to help prevent the spread of the virus by distributing about 3 million plastic bottles of gel to school kids (with the appropriate government propaganda and a cost of over 20 million dollars). 


Then the schools were closed for two weeks a few days later.

The president has closed all borders for seven days – no one gets in or out, except for cargo and supplies. Also, there are supposed to be no public meetings for seven days, including church services. Saturday, they limited meetings to a maximum of fifty people.

Some people here are panicked; others are responding with suspicion that it’s not real or that it’s something made to enrich the rich even more; I am worried that some are not taking it seriously enough.

I am bombarded on Facebook by all sorts of opinions, factoids, and a few facts. Panic seems to be the fallback reaction. Panic gets us nowhere. A French philosopher has said in an interesting interview:
“It is absurd to say 'stop worrying' or 'there is no reason to panic' because there is never any good reason to panic.”

How am I feeling? Somewhat perplexed with people I know and respect who don’t seem to be taking it seriously enough; I think this is partly because they are trying to lessen the panic. I am worried about the people who have little understanding of the nature of a virus and may practice the preventive measures that are need. I am trying to figure out how to be careful but still be pastoral and comfort those who are affected.

Yet there are other concerns.

A person I know who has had a serious mental health problem that was being controlled by medication is falling into depression. I asked his spouse if he was taking his medication. No. They don’t have the money. I’ll contact a doctor this week. There are some victims of abuse, domestic violence, and rape who need accompaniment and one of whom may need help for a visit to a San Pedro Sula hospital for surgery.

What I ask is how I can accompany the people? How can I be of service, without endangering the health of anyone?

In the midst of this, life goes on.

There are some major renovations on the church grounds in Dulce Nombre, including painting the interior of the church.


Last week It rained for three days and my car is still laden with mud. 


But now it’s warm and dry.Today  I even got clothes washed and dried on the line.

Pastoral work has continued, up to today.

Thursday I went with Padre German to Barbascales, a remote village in the parish where I had never visited. The church is abandoned as well as many houses – probably due to violence and more. It was strange to visit the church and pray there. Padre German plans to visit again and, if there are people who come, to celebrate Mass. He spoke to a few people before we left and set a date for his return.

At the bottom front of the church in Barbascales: "Cristo vive" - Christ is alive.
Friday we had a parish meeting of the Delegates of the Word, those who lead Sunday Celebrations of the Word in the remote villages.

Saturday, there was a deanery meeting on religious education in San Rosa on Saturday, about 50 people we represent. In the afternoon I spent a short time talking with someone whose family is undergoing a crisis. After this I had a funeral in a home here in Plan Grande.

Sunday I went to Grandillal for a Celebration of the Word with communion, as well as the first scrutiny for an adolescent who will be baptized this Easter, God willing. In the afternoon, I went to the Mass in San Agustín where I preached again and where we celebrated the first scrutiny with five young people. (The scrutinies are special prayers with a simple exorcism for those who are planning to be baptized at the Easter Vigil.)

Monday I went to Santa Rosa de Copán for a few chores. I dropped in to one grocery store and they were only letting fifty people in at a time. I also tried to see if I could find a face-mask for the driver of our parish car for the sick, in case he needs it. I went to four pharmacies and not one could be found. I am concerned about the driver. He has a family. I told him that if he was concerned, I would be glad to be the person to take people to hospitals or clinics.

About noon, Monday, I got a call from Padre German asking me to do a funeral in Piedras Coloradas for a woman in her fifties who died from a recent stroke. The death took a toll on many of the woman’s brothers and sisters, as well as two of her children who were there. (A third is in the US.) I pray that my presence helped them recall God’s presence in the midst of their loss. I fear that we may have more of these.


This week I was supposed to meet with six couples who are in the last stages of their preparation for marriage. It’s really quite exciting, especially since I know at least one member of three of the couples. This year is the year of marriages. There are more than 21 couples now in preparation for marriage. But we are in a virtual shut-down – no busses, no public meetings, most businesses closed (except for banks, hotels, grocery stores, and gas stations.) I just got a call cancelling four of the interviews this week. Since we don’t have the clergy retreat next week, I hope to reschedule them during that week.

What now?

Pray.

Read.

Write. Prepare the Stations of the Cross for the parish. Prepare a twelve-part preparation for confirmation for adults, for use with those who are preparing for marriage.
           
Contact friends through e-mail or Facebook messenger – or even a phone call.

Pray.

I also told the local health clinic in Candelaria that, if there was an emergency that someone needed to get to the hospital and they had no other resource, they could call me.

No comments: