Monday, March 30, 2020

Curfew, violence, and continuing injustice

According to COPECO (sort of like FEMA) a few hours ago,  there are 139 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Honduras with seven deaths and three who have recovered. There have been no new cases.

The government has taken stringent preventative measures. There has been a curfew for about ten days – but it seemed very much an on-off type with people circulating during the day. Stricter measures were announced yesterday – four days of no circulation at all (except for emergency vehicles) and three days when people are allowed to circulate for a few hours each day to get to banks and supermarkets. This means that almost everyone has only one day to leave the house to get necessities.

There are also travel restrictions. The borders have been closed for a few days as well as entry through commercial airlines. Now only Honduran citizens or residents are allowed in, subject to strict checking at the airports and strict measures to prevent any spread of the virus.

It is interesting to note that some municipalities seem to be doing a better job at prevention and at getting the word out. The municipality of San Agustín has been stopping vehicles and fumigating them for more than five days. They also have announced that the town is closed off and only emergency entries and exits will be permitted. The mayor has called for help to assure transparency in the distribution of food and provisions.

I have also heard that at least one aldea has closed off entry. It is very close to the main road between La Entrada and Copán Ruinas (and the Guatemala border) and people from outside were entering the village. As a preventive measure they are closed.

But in the midst of this, the desperate situation of the majority of people continues. I have heard of protests of people who have no food and I have heard of government efforts to pass out basic provisions but I have not seen any of this and so I will not comment.


Yet... In the last few days, death has stalked through Plan Grande, where I live.

Friday, I presided at a small prayer in a house for an infant who died shortly after birth. I wrote about this earlier. Yesterday I visited the young woman (who is mentally and emotionally disabled) and brought her communion. I spent an hour talking with her family and saw friends and family dropping by to give them bread.

This morning I awoke to news of two deaths.

One was Don Andrés, a 97 year old man whom I had given a ride two times. The last time he sat in the front seat and we talked. Before he stepped out of the car, he promised to pray for me. The least I could do was to pray beside his coffin. What is most interesting is that he was an evangelical – but not the pushy type. I found out, talking to his son, that he had talked with them about me – and all I had done was give him a ride.
The second death was tragic. Last night about nine I heard “pop pop” a few times. I thought it was fireworks. But this morning I found out that it was gunfire. There seems to have been a dispute and the one guy shot the other six times. Alcohol was present.

I knew the twenty five year old who was killed and the family. I stopped by their house and talked with the family. The mother leaned on me. I put aside my social-distancing fears and held her and talked with her. What else can one do?

Violence, lack of medical care, lack of diversions for youth, the prevalence of alcohol, the lack of conflict management skills, and more are still here. And the poverty. The one who was killed was the only son still here in Honduras; his father and brothers are in the US.

I grieve.

As a way to keep in tough (and stay sane), I will try to write at least every two days. I also might try to do some reflections on My Walk the Way blog.

By the way, the Honduras Bishops Conference released a statement which I have yet to read. I may translate parts of it.


No comments: