Thursday, August 13, 2020

Recognizing our vulnerability

A few weeks ago a priest I know put a meme on his Facebook page – Situación post-Pandemia: “volveremos... y seremos más fuertes” The situation after the pandemic: “We will come back – and we will be stronger.” I commented, “Mejor - volveremos más conscientes de nuestra vulnerabilidad”. Better – we will come back, but more conscious of our vulnerability.”

The pandemic, the racism, the derecho in the Mid-West, and more are, I believe, signs of a spiritual crisis.

First of all, we are afraid of our vulnerability. We are afraid that we are not in control. We are afraid because we feel powerless.

This year, even before the pandemic, I was thinking about my vulnerability. I don’t like to think about it. Like some people, I like to think that I’ve got everything under control.

Last year a Guatemalan who was here with his family working in a nearby community began to drop by. His family had lots of needs, including an infant who was sick. I helped as I could. One evening early in January he visited me and told me about his situation. He was planning to go back to Guatemala for medical care for his infant son.. I gave him some Quetzales I had and a few Lempiras.

The next day I wrote this in my diary:
“During Mass, I recognized that I felt powerless in this situation. That is not bad; in fact, it might be the best and most spiritually healthy response. I cannot solve the problem – but I can be with those in desperate straits, commending them and me to God. In my weakness, God can work.”

About two weeks later, on a Thursday morning, someone broke into the sisters’ convent in Dulce Nombre, stole a ciborium, and scattered the consecrated hosts on the ground. I led a prayer in the morning and then, since there was no priest available, I led a Celebration of the Word with Communion in the evening. In my homily I reflected on the vulnerability of Christ in the Eucharist. Nothing is more vulnerable than a small piece of bread, even when this bread is the Body of Christ. And Jesus is God made flesh, God made vulnerable, even unto death.

In the midst of all this I was going through some personal difficulties. I was feeling isolated. I felt that decisions were being made that affected me and no one spoke to me about them. I faced situations where I was not in control.

At the end of the month, the day after I met on Skype with my spiritual director, I came home to a truck load of sand blocking the way to my house. I was frustrated; another case of people doing things that affect others and not saying anything. I remembered what my director had just told me: when you feel frustrated at the injustice you perceive or the lack of consultation, remember the poor – how they suffer and are treated. My vulnerability and lack of control is nothing compared to what the poor suffer every day.


A few days later, at the beginning of March, I was in a meeting where someone in authority spoke for more than an hour and a half, pure stream of consciousness. I recalled what my director had said. I recognized that what I’m experiencing is almost nothing in comparison with what the people suffer. I felt deep compassion with the people in the aldeas.  The oppressive, demeaning approach, the neglect I feel from some authorities is nothing compared to what the poor suffer. As I wrote in my journal, “I’m learning from identifying with the poor.”

This has sustained me and helped me to live in the isolation of the quarantine.

In the midst of vulnerability, I believe, as I wrote on Easter Monday:
We are experiencing the insecurity which the poor suffer all the time.
How will we respond?
How do we respond?
How do the poor respond? – resignation, resentment, organization, solidarity.
Will we isolate ourselves and try to live as secure, separated atoms, or will we build the community of solidarity?

Wearing a mask reminds us that we are vulnerable. I believe that many who refuse to wear masks may be motivated by the fear of looking vulnerable. Isn’t it paradoxical that some of those who refuse to wear masks, which they say reflect fear, carry not only pistols but more powerful weapons. What are they afraid of?

And when people come out in peaceful demonstrations, demanding justice, why do governments respond with massive displays of tear gas and violent force?

A few days ago, some people, fed up with the corruption in the abuse of money meant to aid in the pandemic, came out at night and painted a major highway in Tegucigalpa with the slogan: “¿Dónde está el dinero?” – Where’s the money?


The government reacted. They tried to cover up the slogan and then they tried to blot it out using burnt motor oil. That didn’t work. And people came out and repainted the slogan – in broad daylight.

The seemingly powerful are afraid of their vulnerability.

I wonder if some of those who came out against the Black Lives Matter demonstrations act because they are afraid of their powerlessness, which is not due to any black mobilization but to a government and economy that don’t care for the poor, not matter what race. Pitting the poor against the poor is often a tactic of the powers that be.

(Note, I am speaking about the people who came out to denounce the racism, not any organization.)

Just this week a derecho, a storm with intense winds, devastated Iowa and other parts of the Mid-West. Buildings collapsed, trees fell. Some people have been without electricity for more than three days.



 We are afraid of our vulnerability.

We are afraid that we will be like the poor.

We forget that God’s strength is made perfect in weakness. (Cf. 2 Corinthians 12: 8-10.} And the words of the psalmist make no sense to us: “The helpless entrust themselves to you, for You are the helper of orphans.” (Cf. Psalm 10: 14.)

We have a spiritual crisis – we don’t want to remember that we are human, incomplete, vulnerable. We want to be like gods.

Beware. Beware of thinking that we can go back to the way things were before. Beware of thinking we can come out of this “stronger.”

I fear that if we are not aware of our vulnerability, we are in for some serious problems – personally, socially, and politically.

If we think we can get out of this alone, we are gravely mistaken. 

I learned this just this week. The connection to my battery melted and I was stuck. But someone came out, found a new connector and helped me get the car started - and refused any money! We need more people like this man.

Above all, what we need is solidarity, recognizing that we are in this together. 


----

Thanks to two friends inIowa who gave me permission to use their Facebook pictures.

2 comments:

Wayne said...

John-

We is an overly broad pronoun. I have always understood that I am vulnerable. When life sends a new trial, I am not afraid of vulnerability. I understand my vulnerabilities and have done so since I was a small child.

If there is an almighty, he has the expectation that I will use my gifts/talents to manage my life, my risks and personal tragedies. Not to do so, squanders those gifts.

I was bicycling on the High Trestle Trail, trying to reach my car in Slater before what I thought was a slow moving thunderstorm drenched me. That plan was torn to shreds by the derecho. Winds rapidly became fierce and threatened to knock me off of my bike. Before long, I was dodging tree limbs but could still bike.

Then large branches began falling in front and behind me. I was being struck by flying debris. I understood very clearly that I was highly vulnerable but was not afraid of vulnerability. I did know that a large branch could kill me and there was no shelter Then a large branch DID hit me. I remember thinking that I had no way to protect myself from another hit. It seemed important to think faster!

It seemed like I was near a tornado and in storm spotter training, I was told that in open terrain, a ditch was the only shelter. In the next moment, I recognized that the old railroad grade could function as a ditch. I huddled in that ditch till the strongest winds abated. Then I biked in sleet and wind back to my car.

Since then I have mulling over the experience. Your post triggered additional introspection. Not once during this ordeal, was I afraid of being vulnerable. I understood my vulnerability and worked the problem with tools I have been given.

I don’t think I alone in this understanding of vulnerability.

I know that your broader concern is the systemic abuse of people who have no shelter in life. They have no shelter from storms created by truly evil people.

FWIW,

Wayne Hauber

John (Juancito) Donaghy said...

Thanks for your thoughts, Wayne. They are really helpful.

What I find amazing in your reflection are two things.
First, you were not afraid of being vulnerable. You didn't think you were invulnerable, but recognized your situation. All too often we don't want to recognize that we are vulnerable.
Secondly, in your situation of vulnerability, you were able to recognize your resources, what you could bring to the situation, aware of what was around you.

I thank you for these very important thoughts.

Blessings,
John