Sunday, May 26, 2019

Fractured limbs and fractured lives - malnutrition and poverty


My ministry isn't often filled with surprises. There are training sessions with catechists, meetings with the parish social ministry, talks at training sessions for missionary and delegates of the Word, assisting at Masses and preaching, visits to remote villages on Sundays for Celebrations of the Word with Communion, visits with youth in various towns, and visits to the sick. 


My life is also not filled with too many surprises - except for car repairs and now some dental work.

But once in a while there is a situation that touches and, sometimes, troubles me. Often they reveal the fractured lives of the people. 

A few weeks ago, Padre German noted a serious health situation in a family in a remote village in the parish. Two of the children had recently had a fracture. Two others had fractures in the past. In addition, the family had little to eat. He asked me to visit.

I knew the couple because I had done the final interview with them before their church marriage. I had also arranged some financial aid for the medical costs of the earlier fractures.

I went after a meeting in a nearby village. As I approached, in the midst of barking dogs, I was greeted by the mother of the family. I also saw the fifteen year old boy who had a fracture in his leg, due to an injury during a soccer game. The other boys, ages twelve, nine, and four were also there, as well as a five-month old girl. I found out that two of the boys had had two fractures at different times. 

The father, in search of work, was trying to enter the US.

We talked and I asked her about their diet. In particular, I asked if the children were drinking milk or eating cheese. No – it was too expensive for them.

I contacted a friend from a medical group that visits the area and explained the problem. She asked me to have a doctor friend go and evaluate the situation, so that they could bring what is  needed when they arrive in early June.

We went last Friday. The young doctor briefly examined the boys and measured their height and weight. As we had expected, malnutrition is a major contributing factor. To make things more complicated, the father is stuck on the Mexican-US border and has no way to cross – no money to pay anyone and, as I have heard from other sources, people are waiting extremely long times to even try to get a legal hearing.

I wonder how many other children in our parish are suffering serious malnutrition – which is exacerbated by the extreme poverty, in the face of higher food and utility prices, few opportunities for work that pay decently, little or no medicine in the public health centers, and more.

I find myself sad, perplexed, and wondering what can be done.

I talked with someone from the community yesterday and asked if there was someone who made cheese in their village. There is - but how could this family buy even some several times a month?

We will arrange for the whole family to get to one of the sites where the medical brigade will be. But in the long term? How can we accompany the people in their struggle to lead decent lives?

The problem is in large part due to the system that enriches some and leaves many impoverished, a system that is beset by massive corruption, militarism, and more. Systemic change is needed, as well as some cultural, social, and personal habits that impede real development.

I pray we can begin - and find ways so that people can live with dignity and initiative. God help us - and help us to come together to do this.

No comments: