Sunday, July 15, 2018

Shaken in body and soul


Two years ago today I was ordained a deacon in the diocese of Santa Rosa de Copán, the first permanent deacon in the diocese and the third ordained in the country.

There were two moments in my ordination when I literally shook.

The first was during the litany of the saints. I have had a devotion to the saints since my childhood. They have provided me with inspiration, motivation, and challenge. During the ordination I was prostrate on the ground as the litany was sung. I found myself surrounded by a great cloud of witnesses. But between the invocation of Blessed Oscar Romero and Blessed Charles de Foucauld, my body shook.

The moment of ordination is when the bishop lays hands on the deacon. Later, a prayer is read. During that prayer I heard, as if for the first time, the bishop recall the first deacons and how the apostles “dedicated them to serve the poor” – “los dedicaron al servicio al servicio de los pobres”.  I shook, overcome by the calling, that has been central to my life for many years.

Today I wish to re-dedicate myself to my calling to serve the poor, which I cannot do without the grace of God and the presence of a cloud of witnesses sustaining me.

No comments: