Tuesday, September 05, 2017

The stranger

Today is the feast of Saint Mother Teresa of Calcutta. We had a meeting of the deanery in Santa Rosa and then most of us went to the church of Our Lady of Fatima next to the Hogar San José, a home run by the Missionaries of Charity for malnourished kids under five years of age.

I was asked to proclaim the Gospel for the feast, Matthew 25: 31-46, the Gospel of the Last Judgment. As I read the lines “I was a stranger,” I felt a deep sadness and shame at US policy toward migrants, especially the 800,000 who had temporary protection under DACA.

Now at home, after waiting for the internet to be restored, I just found out the news that today it was rescinded. And I am in mourning.

WOE TO THE UNITED STATES GOVERNMENT – and to those who support this move. I believe they have placed themselves with the goats. Unless they do something to right this evil, I fear that the last words of today’s Gospel indict them:

“These will go to eternal punishment.”

No comments: