Thursday, September 17, 2009

A Wake Up Call

Every once in a while something affects me so deeply that it calls me back to the deepest reasons for being here in Honduras: "to be of service to those most in need."

Yesterday I went to the comedor de niños, the lunch program for kids in the diocesan building. About forty kids showed up throughout the hour when we feed them. Many of the kids know me – and even give me a hard time. Many of them are barefooted, even though they have to walk a distance. Almost all of them have to be reminded to wash their hands – with soap!

The meal was baleadas, a typical Honduras meal of a folded flour tortilla with beans, cheese, and cream inside. Zamira, the cook, makes the tortillas from scratch and so it’s a special treat which the kids enjoy. Most of the kids asked for a third baleada – and some asked for more. (I don’t know if they ate all four or took some home for other members of their families.) They were hungry – and I’m sure they need more food.

After the meal, as we’ve done since March, the kids get a vitamin, from a stash that junior high kids from St. Thomas sent. It’s a little thing.

But as I was leaving a few young mothers came in with smaller kids who showed signs of malnutrition. As I left, my heart ached.

2 comments:

Brad said...

Thanks John, I needed this as well.

Live Simply Love Strongly said...

Thank you, for being a part of this, for serving and loving these beautiful children! God bless.