Wednesday, April 05, 2023

Preparing the catechumens for the Easter Vigil

Yesterday we had a retreat for those who will be baptized in the Easter Vigil together with their godparents.

In previous years, the “elect” – as the catechumens are “called” after the beginning of Lent – has their retreat in their villages. But in some places, there is only one person and I thought it would be better if we experienced the retreat as a community.

Since I am trying to conserve my energy, I asked one of the Oblatas al Divino Amor (Oblates of the Divine Love) in our parish as well as a Dulce Nombre catechist who is also one of the parish secretaries. I was so glad to have Sister Gabi and Elias help (since I had moments during the retreat where I experienced my vulnerability and weakness.)

In the retreat we reflected on baptism and the mercy of God as well as the Eucharist and Confirmation. I also did a short review of what would happen at the Vigil. 

I also led the community in the rite of anointing the elect with the oil of the catechumens.

When we baptize infants and young children, we anoint them in the chest, by the heart. Since many are adolescent girls, I decided to anoint them in the palms, which is an option. There was at least one older man whose palms had been hardened by years of hard work in the fields. What a privilege to anoint his hands and the hands of the others, asking God to give them the strength to live the baptism they were going to receive.

We have thirty-eight “elect,” including fourteen who are eighteen or older. But the majority are between fourteen and seventeen, young people who have decided to be baptized.

We do have baptisms and baptismal preparation for children under seven. Parents and god-parents come together in groups in the villages for five sessions and a retreat. 

There is also a year-long baptismal preparation for children between 7 and 13, with all the formation done in the villages.

We also have the catechumenate for those who are fourteen and older. We are one of a few parishes in our diocese who do this with all the rites.

The custom here, until this year, was that those in the catechumenate would receive Baptism and Eucharist at the Vigil. Later they would incorporate into the preparation for confirmation with others in their community.

I really wanted the Easter Vigil to be a celebration of the full Initiation of adults into the community of faith with all three sacraments – Baptism, Confirmation, and Eucharist. Father German, our pastor, and I approached the bishop and asked him to allow Father German to confirm those over eighteen. He agreed. (Those under eighteen will join other adolescents in their communities to prepare for confirmation. My hope is that they’ll form youth groups after confirmation.)

I am looking forward to the Easter Vigil – which is quite the liturgy here. (I include some photos from previous Easter Vigils.) 

We’ll begin with the blessing of the Easter Fire and the Paschal Candle, followed by a procession to the church.
2016
2019

This year, as last year, we’ll hold the vigil in our auditorium since not all those present will fit into the church.
2022

When we arrive at the vigil site, we’ll pray the Easter Song of the Exultet. If I am up to it, I’ll try to chant it.

After this, we’ll have all the readings with the sung responses.

After the homily, we’ll celebrate the baptisms and the confirmations. We believe in having adequate signs and so the elect will be baptized and so the pastor uses a lot of water in the baptisms.
2023

After the baptisms, Father German will confirm those over eighteen.

At the end of that liturgy, we will have the Prayers of the Faithful. Two of those baptized and confirmed will read the petitions, participating as full members of the community of faith.

One tradition here is that those receiving their first Communion, gather around the altar with a lit candle during the Eucharistic Prayer.

With Padre German, first communion includes reception under both species – the bread and wine become the Body and Blood of Christ. The newly-baptized will drink the Blood of Christ from the Chalice! 

To prepare them for this experience, I told them not to be afraid to take a real drink: they won’t get drunk with the Blood of Christ!

After the Easter Vigil liturgy, which will last at least five hours, there will be tamales and ticucos, as a way to celebrate together.

I look forward to the Vigil and hope and pray that I have the strength for the entire Vigil. 

I will take Sunday off, celebrating the Resurrection in the quiet of my home and garden. 

In other years I have gone to a distant village for an Easter Sunday Celebration of the Word with Communion, but I think it’s best this year to have a real “Sabbath rest.”

No comments: