Saturday, September 24, 2022

What Jesus taught me about the Eucharist

After the September 17 parish council meeting, I stayed around for a few minutes talking with people. At one point a young man and I started talking about a number of topics. He expressed his concern about the catechists in his area.

At one point, he began to reflect on the Eucharist.
He noted that many people do recognize the presence of Christ in the Eucharist they receive. But he added that, when we receive the Body of Christ in communion, we also are connected with the people of God. We are also receiving the mancomunidad of the Eucharist, calling us into Communion with the Body of Christ present in our world, and not only in the Eucharist. 

He used the word “mancomunidad” which is used for associations of municipalities that work together for the good of the communities involved. He grasped something that so many forget but which is central to the Catholic understanding of Eucharist, especially among the Fathers of the Church, such as St. John Chrysostom. In a sermon on the Gospel of Matthew he said:
Do you want to honor Christ’s body? Then do not scorn him in his nakedness, nor honor him here in the church with silken garments while neglecting him outside where he is cold and naked. For he who said: This is my body, and made it so by his words, also said: You saw me hungry and did not feed me, and inasmuch as you did not do it for one of these, the least of my brothers, you did not do it for me.
I was overwhelmed by the depth of this man’s reflections. He is a campesino, who works the land, who lived with his wife and kids. His formal education is minimal, but he has grasped the mysteries of God and he has opened my heart.

The Eucharist is communion with Jesus and it is also communion with others. These both aspects are intimately related. If we forget one of them, we have missed an essential part of the mystery of God. 

This young man taught me and inspired me. 

 His name is Jesús.

No comments: