Sunday, June 05, 2022

A real Pentecost Vigil

Our parish knows how to do a vigil.

Last night we began the Pentecost Vigil with a bonfire in neighboring Concepción and a procession (about three kilometers) to the main parish church in Dulce Nombre.
It looked like a great night – but, just as the fire was blessed, a torrential rain fell and continued for a few hours. I, taking advantage of the privilege of age, rode in the parish pickup that carried the sound system. Yet most everyone got soaked.
When we arrived at the church, people tried to dry out and the pastor shared some of his clothing. Sweet bread and coffee helped to take off a bit of the chill. 

The evening began with one of the choirs leading the people in songs – mostly of the charismatic genre. Then the local sisters, Oblatas al Divino Amor, and their aspirants led an extended reflection.
About midnight we had a break for coffee and tamales and ticucos (which are a specialty of western Honduras). 

We had a holy hour and Benediction – which the pastor asked me to give – for about 90 minutes or so. 

Then we had Mass. The pastor had asked me if I wanted to preach. I said no, but I’d rather give a closing message (which I did).

After Mass and a short break, as dawn was lightening the skies, we began a procession around the center of Dulce Nombre de Copán with the parish statue of Mary, while we recited the rosary.
During the procession, I noted a woman with a baby. I offered to carry the baby for a bit, and she obliged. The ten-month old was heavy, but I was glad and privileged to carry this child. I passed the baby, Jairo, back to his mother as we approached the church. As I walked the last two blocks back to the church, I felt overwhelmed by the opportunity this mother had given me to carry this little boy for about five blocks. I also reflected on how mothers carry their children, first in the womb and later in their arms. What sacrifice – but often with great joy.
When we arrived back at the church, the pastor gave the final blessing and I read a short reflection, sending us forth to live the Spirit in our lives. (The Spanish text is here.) 

It was a few minutes after six am when we finished and people headed home.

A real Pentecost vigil - and I didn't fall asleep.

No comments: