Monday, March 21, 2022

Touched deeply by a death

This morning I got a call about 7:10 telling me of the death of a young man, Gerson Noe Rivas, 20 years old last Friday, in Agua Buena, Concepción. They asked me to come.


Even though I had a 9 am workshop, I knew I had to go. 

 He was becoming more involved in the parish, especially in the social ministry. In fact, he had gone with me and three others from the parish to a Caritas workshop on social ministry. 

He also has been one of our missionaries, visiting villages for a week, evangelizing.

It took about 35 minutes to get to his village. On the way, I saw a crowd in the road as I entered the village. They had gathered where Gerson had died. 

 At about 1 in the morning, he and a friend were returning home when they ran into a pile of rocks someone had placed int he road in the road. 

The young man with him, his good friend, is in the catechumenate, to be baptized in the Easter Vigil. He had been in the Celebration of the Word yesterday in Delicias where I had prayed the Scrutinies with him and two other catechumens. 

I gave him a short ride to the house of the young man who had died. On the way he showed me his right arm which was scraped, bloody, and inflamed. 

When I arrived at the house I entered and encountered Gerson’s body on a mattress on a table, with a sheet wrapped around him. Tears flooded my eyes. 

They removed the cloth covering his hear and I could see the wound in his temple. 

But what struck me was his smile. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a corpse with such a beautiful smile which radiated a deep peace. As someone said later, he received death with peace. 

I prayed a bit amidst my tears. And talked with a few folks.

His mother was away, probably arranging the casket and other details. 

After about a half hour, I left. I gave a ride to a few folks, relatives of Jairo, who were going to the workshop. 

 After the workshop I went with a a neighbor and the two relatives to the wake. 

As I entered the mother was talking on the phone with a daughter, leaning over the casket, overwhelmed with grief. All of a sudden she collapsed and people carried her to a chair. After the people moved back a bit, I approached her, holding her hands, saying a few things, but mostly listening.

This is not the first son who has died. Last year a son in the US was shot and killed. 

Her husband and a son (and perhaps a daughter) are in the US. So much suffering she has experienced and how alone she must feel.

I listened a lot. For me, sitting with a person and listening seems to be the best I can do. I don’t believe in talking much.

She mentioned how last night he was reading the Mass readings, as he often did. And that he just celebrated his birthday.

He was a young man who enjoyed life. He had a lovely smile, and he was very responsible – especially in his commitment to his community. I was looking to work with him in social ministry. But now he’s with the Lord. 

I stayed around there for a while. After a while, I went and prayed with the mother who was resting in her bedroom for a bit. 

I talked with some folk who shared what a good young man he was. That was my experience, the few times I was with him. 

Now he has gone to the Lord. May God receive him with open arms and a broad smile and may God comfort his family.

I think now of the beautiful hymn for the funeral, In paradisum

In Paradisum deducant te Angeli
in tuo adventu suscipiant te Martyres
et perducant te in civitatem sanctam Jerusalem.
Chorus Angelorum te suscipiant
et cum Lazaro quondam paupere
aeternam habeas requiem. 

May the angels lead you into paradise;
may the martyrs greet you at your arrival
and lead you into the holy City of Jerusalem.
May the choir of Angels greet you.
And, with Lazarus, who once was poor,
may you have eternal rest. 

May the saints receive you, Jairo. 

 I have to choose the readings for tomorrow. Padre German suggested one of the Servant Songs of Isaiah since Jairo had the heart of a servant. I think the beatitudes would be the perfect Gospel. 

Blessed may you be, Jairo.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This post was exited to give his age and his involvement as a missionary in the parish.

No comments: