Saturday, October 02, 2021

Welcome the children

September 30 I went for the first time to the aldea of San Jerónimo for the Mass on their feast day.

It’s a small community and they are just getting re-organized. They have no catechist and for some time have functioned without a Delegate of the Word. When Padre Fernando, a newly ordained priest was with us for a few months, he went out once a month for Sunday Mass. Their church was not in very good condition but they are working to restore it. They have had donations from people in the village as well as those who’ve gone to the US. An albañil, more than a bricklayer – more like a construction supervisor, has worked for free.
There is also a real desire to rebuild the life of the church in the village. 

I noted a fair number of young people, but what I most noticed was a ten-year boy with multiple disabilities. He doesn’t walk and seems to have little motor capabilities. He doesn’t speak and it is hard to know how much he understands. But he is loved and cared for. 

When we got to the village, I noticed an older man hold him in his lap. When we were about to start Mass, I went and greeted the boy, Jefrey, and the man. During most of the Mass, the boy was held by his mother. I also noticed a young man, who was there with his wife and child, gently touching Jefrey’s arm.

Jefrey was also one of the seven celebrating his birthday. We have the custom of inviting all those celebrating birthdays that day or another day that month to come forward at the end of Mass. We sing the traditional birthday song, Las Mañanitas, pray with them and then pour a bit of water over their heads and then have them blow out a candle. In San Jerónimo there were seven celebrating their birthdays. The pastor had me pray and pour water. I poured a little water over Jefrey and two young children, but I soaked two older kids. (When it’s someone I know I often soak them with water. On my birthday, I often get a real shower.) 


Friday morning as I read the special Gospel for the feast of St. Theresa, the Little Flower, I thought of the community and of the importance of welcoming children.
“Who is the greatest in the Kingdom of heaven?” Placing a child in their midst, he said “…unless you turn and become like little children you will not enter the Kingdom of heaven”.
Interestingly, this part of the Gospel is also being used today for the feast of the Guardian Angels and is the end of the Gospel for Sunday.

Seeing the care of the San Jerónimo community for Jefrey reminds me of my diaconal call to be attentive to the marginalized. It also helps me to make sense of what I often do when I see a child or a person with special needs. I don’t know how many times I feel pulled to respond, talking with the person, at times gently touching them – and trying to encourage the caregiver.

Becoming like a little child and welcoming them is central to our call as disciples.

No comments: