Sunday, June 07, 2020

Presiding

The regulations on travel are very strict here in Honduras. I can leave Plan Grande where I live only once every two weeks.

As a result, I have only been to Mass once over the last three months. I have also, for a number of reasons not participated in celebrations here or in other places. I have my concerns about the lack of precautions and haven’t wanted to give a “bad example” by participating in gatherings of many people.

I did make four exceptions. I presided over one funeral in a distant village; I led prayers for the dead in the houses of two people who died here in Plan Grande; I led a funeral in church here. These made a lot of sense for me – burying the dead is a work of mercy and part of my diaconal ministry.


Today I walked out to the church and met one of the ministers. I asked her what the noise was about last night. They fumigated the church so that they could have Celebrations of the Word today.

The Honduran Bishops Conference has released protocols and the local authorities have gathered people to talk about the protocols for a gradual opening up of the country (although we will still not be able to go out more than once every two weeks).

The protocols include disinfecting the church before and after every service. The number of persons are limited and distancing must be observed. People who enter must have masks; they are sprayed with a disinfectant and have to use anti-bacteria gel. (In some places, with the electronic thermometers, temperatures must be taken.

The church was prepared. The people were good about the regulations and sat separated.

When Gloria asked me if I would preside, I said yes, even though I had not prepared a homily.

Since today is the Feast of the Blessed Trinity, I decided on a few points.

First of all, we are made in the image and likeness of God, who is community. So we too are not isolated individuals, but members of a community – called to respond to God and the needs of others.

Our God is, as the first reading noted that God is compassionate, merciful, faithful. And so we are called to be a God is. I decided to address the question of COVID-19 and the precautionary measures in this context.

There are a number of people who don’t take precautionary measures seriously and some consider the use of masks a sign of fear. I decided to address this directly.

I wear a mask not so much for me as for the community. It is not a sign of fear but an act of love, thinking more of others than me. Masks feel constraining – and, at times, they are hot. But they are ways of saying that this is not about my comfort but about the safety of others, of the community.

The feast of the Trinity is about our God, a God who is not a self-enclosed monad, but a community of love. It’s a community so filled with love – that God so loved the world to send the Son, who gave himself completely for us.

That’s not exactly what I said – but it’s what I want people to pray about these days.

I also spoke at the end of the Celebration on the why and how of precautionary measures. I also made sure that they knew the symptoms – and the need to contact the public health system if they experience these.

But the question remains: How can we live in the image and likeness of the Triune God – who is loved poured out for others? How can we live this love as Honduras begins a processing of reopening businesses and other institutions?

Slowly the churches will be opening her in Honduras. I hope this is done with care, because the vulnerable – the poor, the aged, the sick – are those who will be most at risk and will have fewer resources to respond.

And what will I be called to do?

Wait, listen, open my heart, pray, and respond with compassion.

No comments: