Monday, April 13, 2020

living with the curfew - the week after Easter

STAY AT HOME - ¡QUEDATE EN CASA
I’m an introvert. I have lived by myself for about fifty years. At times I did have someone living with me for short periods; I did have two roommates during my two years of grad school at Boston College; I took care of Dad at home in Ames for the last two or so years of his life; and I had a few people stay with me there for a few months. But I’m used to staying at home alone.

I like to have people over and have loved cooking big meals. I often did this for groups of students when I worked in campus ministry in Ames. But when they left, I turned the music on loud and washed the dishes – by myself.

Being alone, you can decide what you are going to do and don’t have to always plan with someone else.

One of the challenges for me of being a deacon and working in the church is that, though one might live alone, it is important to be available, to be willing to change schedules to meet the needs of people.

And so the curfew we are under has not been super hard for me. I’ve finished four books and am in the middle of three more. I’ve cleaned a few rooms of the house. I’ve made soup and baked bread. I’ve been in contact with a few friends by telephone and Skype or Zoom. It’s been a little lonely, but not overly difficult. Most of all I miss the human contact.



THE CURFEWS

We’ve been under various levels of curfew for the past month or so. Right now we’re permitted to go out to banks and markets only once a week – on a day determined by the last digit of our id. You can go out other mornings to the local small stores (called tiendas or pulperías here.) I’ve gone out to get water or eggs and went to Dulce Nombre once to get cooking gas and a few groceries. My next chance will be this coming Thursday. 

Some communities are closing themselves off almost completely, including Santa Rosa de Copán and, closer to home, San Agustín. They let emergency vehicles and selected and inspected vehicles to bring in provisions. Towns and villages have set up road blocks at the entrance to some areas. The vehicles and persons are sprayed with a disinfectant. There is one spray for people (gente) and another for vehicles. I have no idea how effective they are. My pickup and I got sprayed several times last week.


Otherwise we’re confined. The message is “Quedate en casa – Stay at home!”

I believe in the efficacy and importance of the curfew and have been a bit upset when I see people gathering together. The concept of “social distancing” is, I believe, almost completely foreign to the Honduran culture. I expect that there will be more governmental restrictions to try to curtail the interaction and prevent the spread of the virus, due to the lack of social distancing.

I’ve worn a mask at times and often warned people about getting too close to one another. One reaction I’ve had from two guys is that this is because of “fear.” That may be a macho reaction or a reaction of young guys who have no sense of taking precautions. But it is troubling. Yet there are some who take it seriously.



DISTRIBUTING AID

Yet last week I went out for three days to several communities, accompanying some people from the municipality to distribute a bag of food and a bag of soaps and bleach to poor families.



This has been a very interesting experience. I'm glad my pick up is in good shape (and I had a tank full of fuel).



Our pastor, Padre German, had insisted ,when he met with the mayors, that the aid must not be politicized and that it must go to the neediest.

The mayor of Concepción did not go with us – which to me is a good sign, though the assistant mayor was with us several times. Many volunteers did wear the government employee vests, but I did not hear them talk about the aid in a partisan way. At least in our area, the bags with aid had no government propaganda in them or on the bags, as I’ve seen in other distribution of bags to the needy. They sometimes walked a distance to deliver the bags to the families.



What was most interesting for me was the attitude of these young workers, most of whom I already knew, though not well. I found out a few things: two days I worked with a young couple from a nearby town whose young twins call me ‘Ho! Ho!” -  thinking I am Santa Claus!

Driving the workers around, I listened as they talked about the distribution. They wanted to make sure that the neediest get the help they need. They had lists that local leaders had prepared, but at times they questioned them. They also sometimes made decisions on the spot to benefit the neediest.




This did not go over well in a couple of places. Some people wanted the aid to be given equally to all. But only so much aid was available. Yet over 1500 households were helped.

My guess is that there will be further distributions in two weeks. I hope I can still help them in all this.

THE WIDER SITUATION

Last night the government reported 397 cases with 25 deaths. But the numbers are probably higher. There are reports that some 19 or so sailors who were flown in from Dubai via Brazil have tested positive but have not been included in the government statistics. There is one reported case in the department of Copán where I live.

The government is also telling people to wear masks when they go out in public. But how will people be able to find them or buy them or even make them. There was a report that the government is going to be distributing masks in San Pedro Sula where there is the highest incidence of cases of COVID-19.

A real worry is hunger. Honduras has a poverty rate of 65%, according to the World Bank. With business closed and those in the informal economy (selling food, vegetables, and more on the street) virtually shut down, how are the people going to eat.

The government has set aside funds for providing emergency food stuffs through the municipalities. There seems to be some problems in a few areas and in the San Pedro Sula area there have been protests of hungry people. Here in the parish where I live the distribution seems to be going smoothly, though slowly in some places. The food is meant for the neediest, but some people are complaining and saying that all should get the aid. This may lead to some problems in future distribution of food stuffs.

There is some control of access to towns, as noted above. 

In at least one place, the road has been completely obstructed to prevent vehicles from passing through.


But, there are some people who are objecting to getting their cars or motorcycles sprayed. This could lead to some violence.

Another concern is how long people can endure the curfew. This is especially problematic since we are in the dry season and one of the hottest times of the year. It's been up to 89 in the share, here in Plan Grande. But a friend in La Entrada told me it was close to 99 there. I cannot begin to imagine how the people in San Pedro Sula and the northern coast are enduring temperatures close to 100 degrees or even higher.

But a really serious issue is the lack of medial supplies and infrastructure to response. Some medical personnel in San Pedro Sula have been protesting this, according to one report.

THE FUTURE

My fear is that COVID-19 may spread due to the lack of control by the authorities, the lackadaisical approach of many people, the lack of social distancing, and the lack of medical support. I hope that I am wrong.

In the meantime, I keep encouraging people to stay at home. I’ve had phone calls about religious education classes and Sunday celebrations. I try to explain the danger and the measures that may prevent the spread of the virus and tell them to wait.

What more?

Wait, patiently and attentively, ready to respond when needed.

And pray.




No comments: