Monday, July 15, 2019

Deacons and Roman collars part 2




Last week I posted on deacons and Roman collars. I posted a link to the post on a private Facebook group.

There were perhaps a few parts of my original article that were not clear. I also recognize that my position has roots in the clericalization found in the Honduran Catholic culture, as well as in some of my experiences in decades of lay ministry in the church in the US. (I do have to admit, though, that most of my experience with clergy was very positive and I saw little clericalism.)

Some of the responses to my blog help me clarify what my real concerns are. I am a bit more open to a limited use of the Roman collar by permanent deacons but my concerns about its use and the vehemence of some responses in defense of its use continue.

I was questioned several times whether ordination to the transitional and permanent diaconate were the same. I thought that would be obvious and so I didn’t mention it.

The post was not meant to castigate anyone but to raise what I think are serious questions about the ministry of permanent deacons.

But what struck me is that many of the responses focused on the question of the use of the Roman collar by deacons. My other concerns were only noted by a few commentators.

One person, a chaplain with a federal agency, explained why he wore the Roman collar. His reasoning struck me as sincere and really oriented to the role of the deacon.

At least one person spoke of the need to use the collar for safety in prison ministry. Another who worked for years in prison ministry has never worn the collar.

I think of my early years here in Honduras when I was a lay missionary. I often accompanied a Spanish Franciscan sister in the local prison. She, by the way, does not wear a habit and in now in her eighties – and still visits the prison, every week, I believe. I did not feel threatened. More recently I have been accompanying a US Franciscan sister with Alternatives to Violence workshops in another part of Honduras. I don’t feel threatened. My white skin (and my association with two sisters who regularly minister in prisons) are my “Roman collar.” I can understand the justification of the use of the Roman collar in limited circumstances in prison ministry, though I still have a few concerns.

At least one commentator did get one of my concerns.
I’m not exactly anti collar - I wear clerics in the prison for the reasons already mentioned. I see, however, a growing trend where the collar becomes for some a symbol of separation and status, whereby the ministry of the deacon tilts heavily toward the liturgical functions serving those inside the church and not the ministerial functions serving those on the margins.

Though clericalism wasn’t my main concern when I wrote the article, I am wondering whether it is a serious issue, at least a serious temptation. One stated that, “Clericalism is often a canard for those who are uncomfortable being clergy.”

Perhaps an extended discussion about clericalism is desperately needed – among priests and deacons. Pope Francis seems to think this is a problem.

I won’t refer to his writings at this point but to a book I read in February: Clericalism: The Death of the Priesthood, by Father George B. Wilson, S.J., published in 2008 by Liturgical Press. I will not try to summarize the book, which deserves a careful reading, but share some points that struck me.

This book, Clericalism, is a nuanced approach to the issue, recognizing that there are clerical cultures and that “clergyhood is essential to organizational development.” In his analysis, Fr. Wilson notes the presence of “clergy status” among doctors, lawyers, university professors, as well as ordained clergy.

But, the author notes, “Clergyhood brings genuine benefits- and harmful potential.”

He notes several seeds of clericalism:
·      “Clericalism grants automatic status.”
·      “Clergyhood’s embodiments: dress and address and perks”
·      “Strengths can become weaknesses”
·      “Clerics are sensitive to critique”
·      “Clerics focus on image”
·      “The power of arcane language.”
·      “Economic advancement confers status.”
·      “Clerics lose touch with those to be served.”
·      “Distinction turns into superiority.”
·      “Clericalism breeds secrecy and lack of accountability
·      “The name itself creates the power”

Fr. Wilson notes the relation between ordained priesthood and the priesthood of baptism, denying neither but trying to open a dialogue on their relationship.
“The priesthood of the ordained is real and not simply metaphorical. But it is meaningful only to the extent that it actually participates in and contributes to the life and holiness of the primary priesthood, the gathered faithful.”

I think this is one of the areas where we deacons need to examine in depth. Fr. Wilson writes of the exercise of priesthood by the community in this way.
“The Christian community priests when its members take on the mind and heart of Jesus; when they show forth singleness of purpose in their following of the risen Lord; when their daily lives are an expression of praise and gratitude—and joyous song—to the One Jesus called “Father”; when they identify compassionately with the broken and dispossessed of society; when they relate personally to others as peers, as brothers and sisters; and when they use the power of their voice to speak out and act for the rights of the voiceless.”

A question for us deacons is how we take on the mind and heart of Christ Jesus the Servant and how we animate the Servanthood of all the faithful. After all, in the words of Pope Paul VI, the deacon ought to be “the animator of the Church’s diaconia.” How do we do this – not just in the service of the Word or the service of Sacrament, but also in the service of Charity? And how are we present to the efforts of all the faithful to live a life of love and justice in the world, helping them see how they are and can be true servants of the Love of God – in the church and in the world, even in their daily occupations.

When I was a lay campus minister, I often tried to help students and other parishioners see that they live out their faith in their daily lives, not just in church activities. I believe that the permanent diaconate has the possibility to help make this real for more people.

Consider what it might mean for a campesino, an agricultural worker, a farmer seeing someone like himself at the Table of the Lord, knowing that he also serves at the Table of the poor, and also that he has a job like his where he serves the world and a family where he struggles with living the love of God.

I think that might be a challenge for us permanent deacons.

I write this post on the third anniversary of my diaconal ordination which is also the feast of Saint Bonaventure. When I was young I had a holy card with a quote from Bonaventure that still sustains me.
“Constant fidelity in little matters is a great and heroic virtue.”

Robert Ellsberg, in All Saints, shares an expanded version:
“The perfection of a religious [person] is to do common things in a perfect manner, and a constant fidelity in small matters is great and heroic virtue.”

I will reflect on this today as I celebrate the gift and challenge of being a deacon.

Ordination, 15 July 2016
Bringing communion to the sick, Debajiados, July16, 2016, with Juan Ángel (RIP)
Heling dig a sewage trench, Plan Grande, August 2016

Baptizing in Plan Grande, August 2016














1 comment:

Konstance said...

Clerical clothing does not cause clericalism. Clerical clothes are simply a tool (and a sign): they supposed to make manifest a clergyman's service to Christ and His Church and challenge him to act in accord with the duty he has been given. 'Clericalism' is nothing more than a particular variant of the sin of pride, and changing one's clothes won't make the underlying brokenness of that sin to go away.

If you have a cleric who engages in the sin of pride by way of the variant called 'clericalism,' simply changing his clothes to lay clothes won't fix the underlying brokenness - it will likely just take a different form, which could include false-humility (e.g. 'I REFUSE to use clerical garb, so I am better than those engaging in clericalism!'). Same thing goes with any kind of aspect of life we try to use to inflate our egos when we don't truly believe we are loved: money, education, profession, transportation - doesn't matter the same sinful brokenness is still present.