Thursday, August 16, 2018

Three weeks - gone with the wind


Since I returned home after the US National Deacons Congress in New Orleans, I feel as if I’ve been in a whirlwind – even though, when I look back, it’s not as busy as it seemed.

When I got back to Honduras, I was met at the airport by Honduras Amigas, the St. Louis-based group that has been brining medical brigades to our area for several years. They’ve been coming to Honduras for about eleven.

The ride back to plan Grande was an adventure. What usually takes three and a half hours took seven.

Before I left drivers of taxis, busses, and trucks had been staging road blocks (tomas de carreteras) because of the rising costs of fuel and a major increase in taxes on the transport industry. They closed the roads for a few days and then took a break while they tried negotiating with the government. But, feeling hemmed in by government intransigence, they returned to the streets. One such return happened the Friday I returned.

We were stopped any number of times, waiting to get through, sometime for more than 30 minutes. I talked with some of the folks there and, to my surprise, the people were patient and, in a sense, supportive of the cause.


The other surprise is that even the truckers were participating in the blockade. There was one carefully crafted blockage by large trucks which did allow small cars to get through but prevented the passage of large vehicles.


I got home at 11 pm that night and found the gate to the church locked. I tried the key and had but found that someone had changed the lock. I climbed over the fence (as the two directors of Amigas looked on) and brought out all the keys I had in the house. Luckily I had the old church lock key which fit the lock on the gate. I was not a happy camper.

For the next couple of days I combined help translating for the brigades with my church duties.

I have been translating for AMIGAS several times but this time I translated for a pediatrician. On the first day, they were in Bañaderos. I don’t know if it was because I was working with a pediatrician or because of the zone, but the cases were much more serious than other times. But then there were always the beautiful babies.



Medical care is a real concern here – even though there re physicians out of work. Not only is the service limited, there often is not enough medicine available in the rural health centers and often there is no real service provided. On the last day I translated, we came across an eleven-year old with Downs Syndrome who had never been seen by a doctor. The brigade doctor wrote a reference note with the hopes that the mother would take the child to a physician. I also told her to contact me if there was any need for help for transportation, since we have a parish solidarity fund for emergencies.

Honduras AMIGA is wonderful, especially since they have made a commitment to be in our area. They are not a group that is fly by night, get in and get out quickly. They want to be here and get to know the people, responding to their medical needs.

I’ve also had meetings with youth twice and just finished two workshops with catechists.

As usual I’ve assisted at Mass on Sundays and a few other days, preaching at most of them. I baptized about 14 children under seven last Saturday. On Sunday, at Mass in Plan Grande, we celebrated the birthday of Padre German, our pastor. One tradition is to pour water over the head of the persons celebrating birthdays. I got to soak Padre German.


We had a study week for clergy last week. The presenter was a Honduras psychiatrist who was very good. It was a worthwhile time.

Life should be busy the next two weeks. Parish Council is Saturday. Sunday afternoon I’m headed to Gracias to speak about Honduras with members of group from Iowa working on the Sister Water Project of the Dubuque Franciscans. Monday, we have confessions for those who will be confirmed on August 29 and 31 in four locations in the parish.

August 21 is a day of formation for those who will go out to the villages for our parish mission week in September. I’ll probably help the pastor with the formation.

August 22 is the celebration of the fiftieth anniversary of the ordination of Padre Fausto Milla whom I met soon after I got here in Honduras.

August 23 is the diocesan cultural day in the major seminary in Tegucigalpa. I may go if I can get a ride. Driving the seven hours to get there is much for this old geezer.

August 24-25 there is a retreat for those who will be instituted as extraordinary ministers of Communion on August 30.

I also have a meeting with the diocesan social ministry commission on August 28 and will probably hurry out to San Agustín for their patronal feast day on that afternoon.

I also have to prepare the liturgies for the penance service next Monday, the institution of the extraordinary ministers of Communion, and the confirmations. I used the catechists’ meeting as opportunities to do formation on the Mass and also have them prepare the Masses – choosing readings, songs, lectors, and more.

It’s a lot of work but God’s been blessing us. There are lots of challenges - but many of them are personal. I live a very comfortable life, unlike many of those I serve. 

Pray for us.


1 comment:

priya said...

You are amazing Deacon John!