Wednesday, February 01, 2012

Catholic Social Teaching Booklet

About two years ago the diocese of Santa Rosa de Copán received a grant from Adveniat, a German Catholic Church agency, to subsidize the writing and publication of a booklet for base communities in the diocese.


As I calculate it, there are more than 4,000 base communities in the diocese. Unfortunately, there is not much material for them that uses a popular methodology.


Since no one was working on the project,  I ended up doing a draft of the booklet. Monseñor Luis Alfonso Santos, the bishop here until last December, ended up correcting it - mostly in terms of my grammar and spelling. But he liked it a lot and even encouraged me to find a publisher for the text to get a wider circulation. If there are any ideas, let me know. It would need some revision since it is particular to our diocese, but that would be easy. Also, it could be in either Spanish or English.


It was just published last week with the title Hacia la liberación - Toward Liberation and is being distributed throughout the diocese. 

I am grateful that I had the chance to do this as a way to serve the church here in the diocese.

No comments: