Sunday, December 18, 2011

Pablito


He had rough hands with bent fingers, from many years of hard work in the fields. But today Pablito is being laid to rest. He will be buried at 2 pm today.

This evening I’m going to Mass in Dulce Nombre followed by the parish Christmas dinner, but I had decided to go up the hill for the 9:30 am Mass.

As I entered I saw a coffin at the foot of the altar. I wondered who it was, but later seeing Pablo’s widow in the front row I knew who it was.

I often sat near Pablito and his wife when I went to Mass at the church of San Martín de Porres up the hill from where I live in Santa Rosa.

I don’t know much about his life but his faithfulness to God and the Church and his gentle welcome impressed me. He is one of those unknown who reveal the presence of God in our world. They are not often noticed – especially by the press and the politicians, but they are the anawim, the poor of the Lord, who keep this world going by their faith, their work, and their welcoming presence.

Thank God for Pablito and for the many like him who give us glimpses of the Reign of God.

No comments: