Monday, July 13, 2009

Golpe de estado – day 16

Still quiet here – though I have heard the teachers are planning a major demonstration against the coup, tomorrow in Tegucigalpa. Also, in at least one city teachers are occupying two schools and say they’ll be there until ousted president Zelaya returns.

Lots of uncertainty about everything. For me, that is almost worse than lots of things happening. At least when things are happening I have an idea about what the situation is – and can talk with people or speculate about what it all means. All the uncertainty leaves someone like me – who doesn’t like things too open-ended – a little ill at ease. But I’ll get over it.

It’s amazing how the coup can in a way take hold of one’s life and one’s consciousness. It’s important to be aware of the demands of justice, but what I feel that I really need to do is to get back a little more into direct service and connection with the poor. Tomorrow I'll at least spend a little time at the comedor de niños, the lunch program for poor kids.

I am still trying to figure out the position of Tegucigalpa Cardinal Oscar Rodríguez Maradiaga, SDB. In an interview today in Clarín, an Argentinean newspaper, when he was asked, ”Why did you [the bishops] support the de facto government of Micheletti?” he answered: “That is not true. We have explained what happened; we have not legitimated anyone. What you have to see here is the process and how Zelaya was violating the Constitution.” However, many commentators are still saying that he is supporting and legitimizing the de facto government of Micheletti.

No comments: