Monday, October 20, 2008

Soeur Emanuelle

I just read that Soeur Emanuelle, a French nun who worked in the slums of Cairo, Egypt, died today. Many years ago I read a book of hers. This is a quote I wrote down at that time:
...the root of the problem must lie in the fact that, above all else, people need to be loved — to be loved for what they are, beautiful or ugly, rich or poor, good or bad, dishonest or otherwise. Love them, I can, and when it comes down to it, that’s what they expect of me.
Sister Emmanuelle, To Share with God’s Poor, p.11

1 comment:

Nambengele's papa said...

Hey John! Searching for inspiration, I'm catching up with your blog now. We'll be back in Ames Halloween weekend-maybe you'll be gone by then?
Family life is kinda hectic, I have a mid-term exam tomorrow and I decided to read your blogs instead:) Well, its an easy class--Marketing 309. It scares me that I'm loving marketing--talking about "consumers" and "target markets" and "profiling"--its all Sociological stuff that I learnt at ISU and is natural to me...but I wonder if I'll be at ease beating the consumerism drum. BTW, can I subscribe to RSS your blog?-Tony, Corvallis, OR