Friday, April 13, 2007

The Risen Christ

Last night was the farewell celebration - humbling to hear so many speak of the effects of my life on them and St. Thomas. In my remarks I recalled how St. Thomas has formed me and how the efforts I am often credited with are the results of the initiative and creativity of so many others. I need to write this down some time soon.

I also gave the reflection at Thursday Night Liturgy. The readings called me to ask what is the meaning of this risen Christ and how are we witnesses to him. I closed with a lengthy quote from Little Brother Carlo Carretto, the final lines of which read:

Every departing missionary is an act of faith in the resurrection.
Every newly-opened leper hospital is an act of faith in the resurrection.
Every peace treaty is an act of faith in the resurrection.
Every agreed commitment is an act of faith in the resurrection.
When you forgive your enemy
When you feed the hungry
When you defend the weak
you believe in the resurrection.
When you have the courage to marry
When you welcome the newly-born child
When you build your home
you believe in the resurrection.
When you wake at peace in the morning
When you sing to the rising sun
When you go to work with joy
you believe in the resurrection.
Carlo Carretto, Blessed Are You Who Believed

No comments: