Wednesday, March 28, 2007

CLOSER TO HONDURAS

This past Monday I found a buyer for my house, through a local realtor. I am glad that I will not have to worry more about this, but it is bittersweet. The house has been a blessing for me - a place to call home, a place that sheltered my dying father for a year, a place to welcome friends and students, a place to pray.

But a new place, a new home awaits me. And I have found some great friends here to support me and to help.

It will be hard to leave - and I am beginning to feel the pain of leaving, of separation. Some of it is a letting go of control, as I leave behind my ministries. But it is also a leaving behind of friendships, accomplishments, memories.

But I feel confident that this is where God is calling me. The signs are so clear. And though it will be hard, this is where my heart is calling me.

In my talks at our Antioch retreat I often quote Frederick Buechner: "The place God calls you is the place where your deepest gladness and the world’s greatest hunger meet."

There is great need in Honduras and I feel great joy at the prospect of serving.

May God help me be faithful in this new mission.

No comments: