Monday, October 27, 2014

A short trip back to Iowa

Leaving Honduras, even for a short visit, is becoming harder every year.

I guess this means I feel at home here.

It does help that I am building a house in the village of Plan Grande, Concepción, Copán. That will enable me to minister much more easily with the people in the parish of Dulce Nombre.

Front of the house - unpainted

Unfinished kitchen area
Upper open area, looking southeast
southwest view from the oratory/study
The house is larger than I thought it would be but I will keep the house open for visitors, as well as a place for friends in Honduras to come for a few days of rest and retreat. I already have one room claimed by a Spanish Franciscan sister and another claimed by a Dubuque Franciscan sister. I will have to keep a calendar for bookings!

I see this as a new opportunity to serve – being more present with the people.

I’m leaving today for Ames, Iowa, to visit with folks at St. Thomas Aquinas Church and Catholic Student Center, the church that sponsored me for several years and that is now a sister parish with Dulce Nombre de María.  

It’s a short visit, squeezed in between various workshops that were planned. But I hope to see a number of folks – both for fun and for generating support for the parish and for projects.

But my heart is really in Honduras, in the parish.


No comments: