Sunday, February 25, 2007

FREEZING RAIN and SNOW

It has been raining or snowing since late Friday. The trees were covered with ice and then snow and so many tree limbs have broken. My telephone line is broken due to fallen limbs and the electric line is on the ground under the limbs. I pray the electricity doesn't go off.

Two of the large bushes on the west of the house are leaning over - pressed almost to the ground - under the weight of the ice and snow. They provided some shade in the summer; I wonder if they will recover.

I have gone out twice and shoveled the sidewalk and part of my driveway but I expect to do that at least once more.

About eight to twelve inches of snow have already fallen. It is beautiful - but also a bit dangerous. Falling limbs and downed power lines are just indications of the difficulties that many may be experiencing - without lights or heat.

This is probably my last experience of a major winter storm for a while. But the people of Honduras experience drought and hurricanes and other natural disasters as well as the human disasters of hunger and injustice.

Today is a reminder of the precariousness of our existence. We are not in control. We need God's help and the solidarity of other human beings.

So today as I thank God for the beauty of creation, I also pray for those who suffer. And I recommit myself to the service of the poor.

No comments: