Thursday, October 22, 2009

The root of war is fear

The week after he read the Honduran Bishops’ Conference statement on national television and radio on Saturday, July 4, Cardinal Oscar Rodríguez gave at least four interviews, explaining his position. Since that time he has been relatively silent in the press and even in Honduras. My guess is that he had many responsibilities in his work as president of Caritas International.

His recent interview for an article by Catholic News Service, "Cardinal says this might be last chance for Honduras to make changes," is quite revealing, though it seems to repeat much of what he said in the interviews in July. But what bothers me is the fear that I read beneath his comments. It was also intriguing to read his comments about Bishop Luis Alfonso Santos who has, since the beginning of August, repudiated the coup. The cardinal sees unity in the episcopate but mentions that "Sometimes there is a voice singing out of tune with the choir ... but you're united." I am not sure that the cardinal is correct about the unity, but I am privileged to be able to work in the diocese that is “out of tune” – or, maybe put better, “marches to the beat of a different drummer.”

Honduras is deeply divided, as is the church, despite the protestations of the cardinal. Christian Science Monitor article, “Honduras crisis rips open public divides,” details this, including the proposal for reconciliation efforts.

Father German Cálix, director of Caritas Honduras, the national office of Honduras, has proposed that the church play a role in reconciliation efforts.

Leticia Salomón, professor of Sociology at UNAH, the Autonomous National University of Honduras, has doubts about the church’s ability to play this role since it has been regarded as largely supportive of the coup.

I, however, think the church could play such a role. Despite the role of the cardinal and others, the church still has much respect among the common people, for varied reasons. And it is rather amazing that Tegucigalpa auxiliary bishop, Juan José Pineda, who is perceived as being pro-coup, was able to visit President Zelaya in the Brazilian embassy and facilitate another round of talks.

Furthermore, the Catholic Church has been involved in reconciliation processes in many countries, including Rwanda where many members of the church were involved in the massacres and in Colombia. Catholic Relief Services and Caritas International have a lot of experience which might be of use to Honduras whenever the current crisis arrives at a temporary solution. But it is important that any effort at reconciliation be also a process of uncovering the truth. As Professor Salomón notes a truth commission could help unify the country. Reconciliation cannot happen without truth and justice, as well as a concerted effort to face the enormous poverty and economic disparity which Honduras has suffered for all too long.

There is another Catholic News Service article, "Political unrest drags down Honduran economy," that addresses some of the economic issues as it discusses the effects of the coup on the poor. I found it an intriguing and balanced article.

And now for some blatant self-promotion:

I gave a talk last Friday at the motherhouse of the Dubuque Franciscan sisters – whom I worked with in Suchitoto, El Salvador, and two of whom are good friends, now also working in the diocese of Santa Rosa de Copán, in Honduras. The Dubuque Archdiocesan paper, The Witness, has a report on the talk, "Honduras volunteer."

I also spoke at Iowa State University, last Monday, on “From Honduras in Crisis: A View from the Rural Poor”. They recorded it and the audio can be downloaded at the lectures program site.

Earlier this month I spoke with some members of the editorial staff at America, the weekly Jesuit magazine. There’s a podcast of my talk on their website.

Excuse this uncalled-for self-promotion. But yesterday I had dinner with two friends who worked in Bolivia and El Salvador with the Mennonite Central Committee. They remarked that they were glad I’m blogging, but they would never have been able to do something like this, because of the concerns about deportation.

Next week I will return to Honduras. I am homesick for Honduras and will be glad to be there again, among the people I know and love.

A couple of times during my trip to the US I have been asked about concerns for my safety. Of course there are some. But I believe Honduras is where God is calling me to be of service to those most in need. What else is important?


This sign greeted me at the bottom of the hill leading to Briar Cliff the day I spoke there.
The closest thing to fame or infamy!

No comments: