Wednesday, September 23, 2009

A few hours of freedom

The curfew was lifted this morning and so people can circulate from 10 am to 5 pm. I actually left the house a little before to get to the Catholic radio station. The streets weren't empty and shops were open.

I went to the radio station because Padre Fausto and others from the Resistance were talking and taking phone calls. I had called in mentioning that people I know in the US are contacting the State Department and their legislators about the crisis in Honduras.

I'm spending about an hour in an internet café with wireless to do a little work outside the house. This afternoon I'll spend a few hours in Caritas.

While checking the web I found a Catholic News Service article that quoted me, accurately.
http://ncronline.org/news/global/lay-missionary-conflict-honduras-between-poor-wealthy
and
http://www.americancatholic.org/news/report.aspx?id=1659

---

A further note about curfews. I stopped by the Caritas office and was talking to two women on the support staff. We noted that the curfew really hurts the people who earn their daily bread each day - perhaps by selling vegetables and fruits on the street or making tortillas. They make a little each day so that their family can have something to eat the next day. Also, one woman noted, the people in this area are not accustomed to buy food for more than the day and so they did not have food stored up. This confirms what I have been thinking. The curfew hurts the poor!

No comments: